Most people think things are not real unless they are spoken, that it's the uttering of something, not the thinking of it, that legitimizes it. I suppose this is why people always want other people to say "I love you."
I think just the opposite - that thoughts are realest when thought, that expressing them distorts or dilutes them.
And grief still feels like fear. Perhaps more strictly, like suspense. Or like waiting, just hanging around waiting for something to happen. It doesn't seem worth starting anything. I can't settle down. I yawn, I fidget, I drink too much.
That's the problem with drinking, I thought, as I poured myself a drink. If something bad happens, you drink in an attempt to forget. If something good happens, you drink in order to celebrate. And if nothing happens, you drink to make something happen.
I take my hangovers as consequences, not as punishments.
Now I'm tired. But there's some things I shouldn't do. Like falling into the abyss of love. I spent my life learning to feel less. Every day I felt less. Is that growing old? Or is it something worse?
Because you cannot protect yourself from sadness, without protecting yourself from happiness.
Wedding Dress; J Reyez. & Tommy C
(Verse 1 – Tommy C) Never should've let you go Never found myself at home Ever since that day that you walked Right out the door
You were like my beating heart That I, I can't control Even though we've grown apart My brain can't seem to let you go
Thinking back to the old times When you kept me up late at night We use to mess around Laugh and play, fuss and fight
(Pre-Chorus) I guess it's too late, I'm dancing this dance alone This chapter's done, the story goes on
(Chorus) Baby, can't believe that you are not with me 'cause you should be my lady All I want is to set your heart free
But if you believe that you belong with him Promise me, you won't let anyone hurt you Remember, I will always be here for you Even if it kills me to see you In that wedding dress Oh, see you in that wedding dress See you in that wedding dress Oh, see you in that wedding dress
(Verse 2) Snappin' out this misery Depression, this ain't me But I always turn around 180 degrees
You got control of me And I, I can't explain Somebody call 911 Emergency Before I go insane
Since you've moved on You took a piece of me, give it back So much pain in my chest Blacking out, heart attack
(Pre-Chorus) I guess it's too late, I'm dancing this dance alone This chapter's done, the story goes on
(Chorus) Baby, can't believe that you are not with me 'cause you should be my lady All I want is to set your heart free
But if you believe that you belong with him Promise me, you won't let anyone hurt you Remember, I will always be here for you Even if it kills me to see you In that wedding dress Oh, see you in that wedding dress See you in that wedding dress Oh, see you in that wedding dress
(Verse 3 – J.Reyez) And I see you with your man and it's hard to understand If we belong, if I did you wrong, where we even began We would always fuss and fight, and it seems nothing was right But I loved you girl, and you were my world, but you'd never trust this guy 'cause the things I do when I'm on the stage, they say I'm a superstar You couldn't understand all the female fans, and then we grew apart And I just don't get when you're acting like some other person But I try my best to hold on at the times when it ain't working
And everytime that you say it's over, it breaks my heart and I don't know why 'cause you've done it a lot of times in the past but I get back up and try You said we could work it out, how could you hurt me now And you moved on to the next, I'm left with an imperfect smile
(Chorus) But if you believe that you belong with him Promise me, you won't let anyone hurt you Remember, I will always be here for you Even if it kills me to see you In that wedding dress Oh, see you in that wedding dress See you in that wedding dress Oh, see you in that wedding dress.
(Reminds me of Blue October's Congratulations; equally heart-wrenching, so to speak.)
After all, to you, my problems and anxiety can be reduced to a chemical imbalance, or some kind of misfiring synapses.
But when your foot falls down through the air, you said there was a sickly moment of dark surprise as you try and read ahead the steps to take. And the fall, the dark surprise, it only reminds you of the way I thought about things - so candid ... so morbid.
You said you can never love a morbid person. You said nobody can. You said nobody will. Still I said, "I will never hate you." And I said, "I will never leave you."
So promise me, you won't let anyone hurt you, like you did to me.